Article on how to know about auditions
1. Finding a Talent Agent or Manager
- Asking for a reference : Asking your friends, colleagues, known people with agents, ask them to also pass your information.
- Send them copies of the headshots, resume and videos to pass along to their reps.
- If you don’t have anyone from this background, try to find a local community of actors and connect with them. They would help you get your video and shots to the respective person.
- Acting in plays, local films or commercials : Even if you are a volunteer or low paying, or have some experience in school activities, you might get noticed by any agent.
- Try to use every opportunity that comes along. Whether it is a play, drama, student film, documentary or a commercial, etc.
- If you are talented enough, you will definitely get a chance to showcase your talent.
- Finding contacts through social media : Different social platforms like YouTube, Face book, Twitter, can help in providing exposure through friends, family, and business networks.
- You have to be very careful when you are trying to approach an agent over social media.
- You shouldn’t be overconfident and desperate.
- Try to engage with an agent by participating in conversations showing your content and interests.
- Going to an agent workshop : Sometimes, agent holds the auditions in search of new talent.
- Try to be prepared before hand as these auditions are highly competitive.
- Try to stand out from the crowd by showing your talent. Don’t be too arrogant or odd.
- Presentation matters, so always well dressed and professional.
- Lining up a meeting with an agent : As soon as you made a contact and get to know the agent, try to fix an in person meeting.
- Be prepared with your experiences and interests.
- Try to convince the agent about your worth.
- Hire an agent or manager : It will help finding auditions or castings happening near your place.
- You have to pay 10-20% of your salary to the hired agent, depending on whether you are a Union Actor or not.
- Hiring any agent or manager doesn’t mean that you are guaranteed to get work.
- Always remember to read contracts with agents and managers before signing them.
- You will be referred for auditions as per your interests and recommend you to the directors and filmmakers.
2. Finding Auditions on Your Own
- Use your own contacts : Ask your friends, teachers, colleagues from acting background if they know about any upcoming projects in your area.
- This can be a best resource.
- A teacher or an acting coach will know what your area of interests is and can give you respective contacts.
- Also, your professional network will be able to recommend you to different casting directors, agents and filmmakers.
- Try out some casting calls : Try to check local newspapers, websites, TV, radios and elsewhere.
- Be aware of posts on various websites for casting calls for shows and other projects.
- Look for theater auditions and castings in theater magazines or local newspapers.
- Look for big auditions in major newspapers. It’s better to try your luck in large metropolitan cities with big entertainment industries.
- Use social media : Social Platforms like Face book is a great place for getting auditions.
- Event pages are a good resource for film, TV and theater auditions. They often announce casting calls and auditions.
- Look for agent pages or project pages on Facebook.
- Casting calls can also be found on Twitter and Craigslist.
- Creating an account on audition websites : Visit different sites, sign up and post your best head shots.
- Contact your local film office:
- This can be an excellent idea for searching for auditions & casting calls.
- Local film office advertises for extras for almost all films.
- They keep list of current projects, permits and contacts which can help you in doing some more research and connecting to casting directors.
- The local film office might also offer some information on acting classes and workshops that will allow you to practice.
Join Famark Community!
Famark community is a social platform for creative and innovative professionals from different domains.Join Community