Migrating Software to Mobile App
Web Service Platform for Mobile App
With the smart devices surpassing the total number of personal computers on earth
it is high time to consider mobile compatible version of your software. In fact
if you have not already started you are already late. Or if you are done with the
design, let me guess the high level components of your design -
- 1.A hosted web service accessible through web
API (http SOAP or REST, preferably REST).
- 2.Business logic embedded in service for processing
of data before storing, retrieving or interacting with other systems.
- 3.Data storage with possibly diverse security
- 4.A native client application compatible with
devices having different resolutions.
- 5.An admin console with controls
based on different levels of administration.
You would be surprised to find eras platform containing all the pieces of your design
implemented almost exactly as you envisioned.
What Eras provides?
- 1.A hosted web service that is flexible yet consistent
so you do not have to learn calling different actions. It supports both SOAP and
REST web API protocols over http and https. Accessible symmetrically from JAVA,
- 2.An action framework that extends the web service
for custom actions, again it can be developed in the programming language of your
choice from Java, .Net or PHP. Thus you can leverage the most from your existing
- 3.Data storage for the configured entities with
automatically created actions for create, read, update, delete, import, export and
file upload / download.
- 4.A security framework for configuring access
permissions on entities and actions, also with field level restrictions.
- 5.A set of UI elements corresponding to entities
configured, that can be customized and configured in sites. Then with auto code
feature a mobile app displaying the site can be created.
- 6.A default site (Main Site) is created
for administration purpose where each user of the system gets control based on security
(Even if you plan to develop your own platform, you should try Eras for free; it
will certainly give you some good ideas around developing web service and UI controls
compatible with different devices)
How to get started?
- 1.Create ER diagram (Entity Relationship) of
your existing system (if you do not already have one). Reviewing the database design
can be a good starting point for ER modeling.
- 2.Register your domain at Eras and configure
solution, entities and relations in the platform based on your ER model. Eras System
and Solutions guide provides all information you need for configuring entities
- 3.Review the automatically created UI elements
(views, forms, etc.). Configure your site with your own customizations to the UI
elements. Eras Site, Handlers and Reports guide provides all information you need
for UI customization. (You can skip this step if you are planning to develop your
own native app)
- 4.Review your site that will be rendered in mobile
app using auto code feature. Or program your completely custom native app calling
the auto created actions or your extended actions available as REST or SOAP service.
Eras Programming guide provides all information needed for calling eras action
service and building extended custom actions.
- 5.Run your mobile app.